Stony Run Friends Meeting is seeking a full-time Facilitator to expand the connections and reach of Stony Run in the diverse, wider community. Working closely with the Operations Coordinator, the Facilitator will support the work of Stony Run’s committees and working groups to achieve the goals and direction of Stony Run Meeting.
This individual should have experience working with diverse, collaborative groups, and be able to help members of the Meeting further implement collaborative processes. The ideal candidate will bring skills and experience in outreach to the wider Baltimore community to support Quaker social justice efforts and to support the Meeting’s desire to grow the Meeting and to welcome people newly interested in Quakerism and Stony Run.
Baltimore Monthly Meeting of Friends, Stony Run, is a large, vibrant, unprogrammed, urban meeting. Our membership numbers about 350, with over 100 actively engaged in committee work and/or attending meeting for worship. Stony Run has a First Day (Sunday) School, youth activities, and adult religious education programs. Stony Run adjoins Friends School of Baltimore and oversees the historic Friends Burial Ground.
We seek to provide a spiritual home within an ethical framework that allows us to live our best lives. Through our committee work, we nurture each other, act on issues of social justice, racism, the environment, peace and more.
- Work with the Operations Coordinator to be responsive to the needs of committees and staff.
- Help coordinate activities which build relationships in the Meeting, including social and educational events.
- Support Stony Run’s standing committees and working groups. The Facilitator and Operations Coordinator will work together to divide responsibilities for committee support.
- Serve as a resource to the Religious Education Committee in developing and maintaining thriving programs for children and adults.
- Liaise with Friends Church of Baltimore, and other groups who use the Meeting House facilities.
- Support the work of the Meeting clerk.
- Under the supervision of various committees, provide oversight of Meeting contracts or letters of agreement.
- Supervise and evaluate Meeting staff.
- Help identify opportunities for the Meeting to meet, work with and learn from the wider Baltimore community.
- Support the Peace and Justice Committee as it works to identify and participate in specific activities in response to the Quaker call for justice and non-violent resolution of conflict.
- Help the Meeting to determine the best methods, including social media, of maintaining aneffective presence in the community.
- Coordinate with Friends School of Baltimore as needed on a variety of topics, including use of space, technology, and school culture.
This position description is a general picture of assignments; however, this employee needs to be flexible and can expect to be called to help in a variety of ways that cannot always be anticipated in the written description.
Skills and Qualifications
- Interpersonal skills: Friendly, outgoing personality with ability to work with persons of diverse backgrounds and interaction styles. Ability to convey information clearly and accurately in both oral and written form.
- Organizational skills: Ability to prioritize and complete in a timely manner a variety of tasks. Skilled in meeting multiple demands and deadlines. Experience in developing organizational systems with a keen eye for detail. Experience with and skill in office computer applications
- Management skills: Skilled in recruiting, motivating and guiding volunteers. Experience in providing staff support to boards or committees. Knowledge of nonprofit financial management helpful.
- Spiritual depth and commitment to Quaker principles. Familiarity with the Religious Society of Friends, Quaker history, testimonies and organizations. Experience and skill in group and Quaker process.
- Minimum of two years related work experience
Each employee is an employee of Baltimore Monthly Meeting of Friends, Stony Run. The Committee for Support and Supervision supervises the Facilitator.
The normal work week for full-time salaried employees is 37.5 hours and two consecutive days off per week. The normal office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with one unpaid hour for lunch. Staffing needs and operational demands may necessitate variations in starting and ending times, as well as variations in the total hours that may be scheduled each day and week.
As this is a position that calls for visibility within the community, regular participation in all-Meeting activities on First Days is important. The Facilitator and the Operations Coordinator will schedule at least one of them to be present on First Day.
Exempt employees are expected to work the number of hours required to complete their assignments effectively.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with skill and experience. Range: $58,000 to $64,000 annually.
Benefits for full-time, salaried employees are described in Baltimore Monthly Meeting of Friends, Stony Run Personnel Policies and Procedures and include paid vacation and sick leave, selected paid holidays, health insurance, retirement plan, workers compensation, and employer share of payroll taxes (Social Security, Medicare).
Term of Service
The Meeting expects this position to be an ongoing commitment subject to an annual review.
NONDISCRIMINATION POLICY: Stony Run appoints individuals without discrimination based on color, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, class, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, ancestry, ability, marital status, domestic partnership or civil union status, religious affiliation, or any other category protected by law. Stony Run recognizes that some of these categories are social constructs, not rooted in science. Our aim is to be inclusive and affirming.
Stony Run staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except for those who cannot receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons.
BACKGROUND CHECKS: Stony Run will conduct a background check for all candidates prior to hire.
INTERESTED? Please submit the following items to StonyRunJobSearch@gmail.com with "Search Committee" and your last name in the email subject line
1. a current resume
2. a cover letter.
Review of applications will begin on July 15, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.